Wednesday, March 26, 2014

No regrets

So, this morning, as I do mid-week every week, I got on the scale to see if there was any progress with my weight loss. When I stepped on the scale I couldn't believe my eyes. I GAINED 2 pounds. I was deflated. My head spinning wondering what went wrong and how could this even be possible. I sat on the side of my bed and just checked out for a moment. What was happening?

Last week I lost .4 pounds and the week previous I lost 2 pounds. In the past I would have just thrown my hands up in the air and said I quit. But this time I am doing everything I can to stay committed to this change. So, I decided to reflect on my current situation. What am I doing differently?

Most of the morning was spent remembering what I did these last three weeks that were so different then was done the first two weeks I decided to do the "Dottie Project". Three things that have changed I could name right off the bat...

1) late night snacks/eating out
2) no real eating schedule
3) more exercising

I will start with exercise. I upped my Jazzercise outings to more than 3 times a week. I have also been very committed to a 30 day challenge that has focused on squats, crunches, pushups, and planks. All of these involve cardio and strength training. I can see changes in my body, such as more muscle strength ....especially upper body. Muscle weighs more than fat. So, while I am changing my body, the weight loss may be affected by this.

Next, no real eating schedule. I now I don't have a job, I can eat anytime I need to. But, even without a job, I find it difficult to plan my eating schedule around my schedule. (taking dad to appointments, musical rehearsals, church rehearsals, jazzercise classes, and challenges) a most of the week I have to fit in eating wherever I can. This could mean eating breakfast at 8, a snack sometimes between 10-12. If I get a snack. Lunch could be anywhere between 2-3 and poss a snack at 6.., dinner by 9:30-10. I need to readjust my schedule to something more normal. Eating so late makes for a very hard for a body to process the food before going to bed. This could also be affecting my weight loss.

And finally, eating out/late night snacks. Snacking late at night is an absolute no no! Yet, I find that after I finish up my challenges I want something to eat. Before I would look back at my day and say, I didn't eat that much, I can have some nuts, or chicken. But really what I should o is drink water or go to bed. It's not rocket science...but I always go for the food. This has to end.

Eating out isn't a no no, but I would normally not eat out more than once a week. The last week I have eaten out 2 times with a third soon to come. I thought if I worked out more it would make a difference. But, I have a feeling all the sodium most places put in their food...may be the demise of my weight loss.

One more thing that comes to mind is my water intake. Water, water, water! Don't forget to drink half your body weight in water. (totally have not faithfully done that). Its amazing what water can do.

All this to say, I'm still in the process of figuring this out. There is no such thing as the perfect plan...but, if I can still learn, I can be successful.

Here's to a better future for all of us.

Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment